Based on historical research, Hoyt Brothers was a 19th century leather company founded in the New York City swamp by Oliver Hoyt, Mark Hoyt and William Hoyt of Stamford, Connecticut. The tanneries and timber assets of Hoyt Brothers became part of United States Leather Company, and later Central Leather Company. While the leather tanning business no longer operates, the Hoyts reserved all oil, gas, minerals and mineral rights of the lands that they held. Many of these subsurface properties are located in the Marcellus and Utica shale regions of Pennsylvania and New York.
- 1625 Simon Hoyt arrives in Massachusetts
- 1844 William and Oliver Hoyt formed the firm W. & O. Hoyt
- 1870 Mark Hoyt becomes a Partner and the firm becomes known as Hoyt Brothers
- 1893 Hoyt Brothers sells tanneries and surface timber into United States Leather Company and reserves the current Hoyt Royalty subsurface estate to Hoyt family and heirs
- 1896 United States Leather Company is one of 12 original companies listed on the Dow Jones Industrial Average
Hoyt Brothers Genealogy and Family Tree:
- Oliver Hoyt: Oliver Corse Hoyt was born in Stamford, Connecticut in 1823. He met success as a partner in Hoyt Brothers Leather with his brothers William and Joseph. Oliver was active in the Stamford community and the Methodist Episcopal Church. He served as Chairman of Wesleyan College, a State Senator, a nominee for Connecticut Governor, executive of Park Bank and in the insurance industry, and was a Presidential Elector in 1872. Oliver Hoyt and Hoyt Brothers acquired tens of thousands of acres across the northeast in order to provide chemical feedstocks to the Hoyt Brothers tanneries. Oliver was married to Maria Hoyt. Oliver’s sons Theodore Hoyt, George Hoyt and Edward Hoyt later joined the Hoyt Brothers business. Oliver Hoyt died in his home in 1887.
- Sons of Oliver involved in the Hoyt Brothers businesses:
- Edward C. Hoyt (1853-1925)
- Chairman and President of United States Leather and Central Leather Company
- Director of the National Park Bank of New York
- Married to Cordelia Ida Hoyt
- Theodore R. Hoyt (1861-1923)
- Director of the United States Leather Company
- Walter Hoyt (1873-1920)
- George S. Hoyt (1866-1931)
- Edward C. Hoyt (1853-1925)
- William Hoyt (1819-1902)
- Original Partner in Hoyt Brothers
- Founder of the Stamford Methodist Episcopal Church
- Trustee of Wesleyan College
- Married to Mary Hoyt
- Joseph B. Hoyt Jr. (1812-1888)
- Mark Hoyt (1835-1896): Mark Hoyt served as the President of United States Leather for a short time. He was married to Anna Hoyt.
- Union Tanning: the (mostly) Western Lycoming County and Tioga County timber and surface property subsidiary of United States Leather Trust. Upon the creation of the Trust in 1893, the Hoyt Brothers sold their surface rights in Tioga County and Lycoming County to Union Tanning. According to recorded documents, Union Tanning then sold surface rights to either Central Pennsylvania Lumber, Morris Manufacturing, or third parties.
- Elk Tanning: the (mostly) Eastern Lycoming County and Sullivan County timber and surface property subsidiary of United States Leather Trust. Upon the creation of the Trust, the Hoyt Brothers sold their timber and surface rights in Sullivan County and Lycoming County to Elk Tanning. According to recorded documents, Elk Tanning (on its own behalf or as the successor to Union Tanning) then sold certain surface rights to Central Pennsylvania Lumber.
- Central Pennsylvania Lumber (CPL): Founded in 1903 by a group including Calvin H. McCauley (C.H. McCauley) of Ridgeway, Pennsylvania, with the purpose of holding and managing the timber and surface properties of United States Leather Trust. By 1910, nearly all of the Pennsylvania surface property contributed by the Hoyt Brothers and other leather families was owned by Central Pennsylvania Lumber.